Strong demand for environmentally friendly cleaners is leading many companies to partner with contract manufacturers to expand their bandwidth. Manufacturers must proceed with caution when hiring a contract manufacturer. Look for a contract manufacturer with a long track record of producing household, industrial, and institutional (HI&I) cleaners and find out how they ensure purity of their products.
After considering quality controls, commitment to safety, and experience level of liquid manufacturers, many brands choose PCI for their environmentally friendly cleaning products. By doing so, they tap into our experience in supply chain excellence, long established supplier relationships, and dedicated project management teams. PCI’s knowledge of HI&I cleaning products makes us a great choice for companies looking for a partner to handle all of their needs. From formulation to final product.
Rapid Growth Leads Environmentally Friendly Cleaning Brands to Outsource
Demand for eco-friendly cleaners is growing at 8.5% a year, more than double the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.1% for all cleaning products. Industry experts forecast the same robust growth through 2026 for environmentally friendly cleaners. In its 2021 study The Future of Sustainable Cleaning Products to 2026, manufacturing consulting company Smithers predicted:
- The retail value of environmentally friendly cleaners will reach $109.7 billion by 2026.
- The retail value of all cleaners is expected to reach $207.3 billion by 2026.
With the increased demand for eco-friendly cleaners comes more need for environmentally friendly surfactants, solvents, and polymers. Product engineers often need the expertise of chemists like those at PCI. Our formulating chemists do everything from developing new formulas to optimizing existing ones. Companies that contract with us are in effect expanding their product development team, increasing their capacity to meet market demands.
Companies in search of a contract manufacturer will benefit by investigating the following assets of potential partners.
Do They Employ Strict Quality Control for Production of Liquid Ingredients for Household and Industrial Cleaners?
Creating pure eco-friendly products for household, institutional, and industrial (HI&I) cleaners often requires adherence to rigorous processes and procedures, including:
When it comes to eco-friendly products, which are water-based, the procedure for purifying the water is extremely important. PCI validates the purity of water.
- 7-stage Reverse Osmosis water purification system.
- 4,800 gallon recirculating ozonated storage tank.
- Continuously recirculating point of use loop.
- UV exposure at four separate points.
Careful control of batches contributes to the purity of liquid products. At PCI, we ensure quality with:
- Eight mixing vessels controlled and operated through a master programmable logic computer.
- A production area with four processing lines filling various sizes of containers.
- A climate-controlled production facility and warehouse for storage of both raw materials and finished goods.
Technology for Measuring and Mixing
Look at how a prospective contract manufacturer uses technology to ensure precision measurement. Well-equipped liquid manufacturers use mixing vessels with state of the art flow meter technology to provide precise raw material additions. A quality manufacturing facility also will include:
- Various Mixing vessels with capabilities such as heating/cooling jackets, impeller and counter rotating sweeps.
- Various mixing delivery systems, such as flash blenders, homogenizers, and in-line adduction for introducing solids.
Quality Control Testing
The ingredients used in environmentally friendly cleaners must meet strict quality controls. Experienced quality control and quality assurance teams go over every detail involved in production. When assessing a contract manufacturer’s quality control, look for these tests: Water quality analysis, process validation, and raw material evaluation.
How Much Experience Do They Have Making Ingredients for Household, Institutional, and Industrial Cleaners (HI&I)?
In an industry with no margin for error, it is critical to properly assess the expertise of a contract manufacturer’s team before hiring them. Questions to ask include:
- How many years has the manufacturer been in business?
- Who are their current and past clients? Are the clients’ products and business processes similar to yours?
- What are the credentials of their chemists and engineers?
PCI stands out among liquid manufacturers because we have been in business since 1997. PCI systems and size allow us to remain nimble like a small company but offer big company output and quality.
Today, PCI is a turnkey contract manufacturer offering everything from testing to internal documentation. Find out more about PCI and our state-of-the-art production facility in St. Louis by talking with one of our team members. Shoot us a message and we will schedule a time to talk.